Job Summary: At the direction and control of the Supervisor of Admissions, the Admissions Coordinator is responsible for pre-registering and registering all patients coming into the Hospital and ancillary departments of Mena Regional Health System. Must exhibit an ability to work independently in a high stress environment and exemplify the ability to multi-task with a relatively small margin of error.
Reports to: Admissions Supervisor
Education: High school diploma or GED, Working understanding of medical terminology, ICD–10 Codes and Procedure Codes
Experience: Prior experience preferred
Primary Job Duties:
- Monitors alarm systems and parking lot and follows contact protocol as needed.
- Price procedures and collect monies with an appropriate receipt.
- Run medical necessity on all orders and call MD for corrections.
- Call Surgery Team for after hour surgeries.
- Communicate effectively and tactfully with all patients and visitors
- Pre-register and register all patients including emergency room, inpatient, observation, outpatient and surgery with accuracy
- Ability to change a patients’ admit status when notified
- Collect all co-pays, deductibles, deposits for patient’s accounts with receipts.
- Daily deposit
- Answer switchboard
- Receipt payments
- Direct visitors which may include walking them to their destination
- Page doctors and nurses
- Monitor ambulance radio and alarms.
- Provide population specific care- i.e. Language Line, Speak Clearly, ADA accommodations.
- Assist ER physicians and nurses with transfers
- Review returned mail and find correct addresses
- Folding and stuffing statement and mail outs
- Respond to patients and patient families in a courteous manner both on the phone and in person
- Relay timely telephone/visitor messages, taking accurate information
- Proficient in the use of computer and all office machines
- Must have a working understanding of medical terminology, ICD-10 codes, and procedure codes.
- Ensures accurate completion of all clinical and financial forms related to patient visits
- Regularly works as scheduled and follows attendance policy.