- Job Summary:
The Chief Nursing Officer is a Key Management position and works directly under the supervision of the C.E.O.
- This position is responsible for planning, coordinating, implementing and administering all direct clinical patient care activities of the hospital.
- Directs and delegates management of professional and ancillary clinical patient care providers.
- As Chief Nursing Officer, manages and directs the organization toward its primary mission.
- Establishes current and long-range objectives, plans and policies, and Board approval.
- Assists in overseeing the adequacy and soundness of the organizations’ daily operation of the hospital to include the financial structure.
- Reviews operation results of the organization, compares them to established objectives, and takes steps to ensure that appropriate measures are taken to correct unsatisfactory results.
- Represents the Hospital throughout the community.
Reports to: Chief Executive Officer (CEO)
Licensure: Licensed in the State of Arkansas as a Registered Nurse.
Education: Arkansas Regulatory Rules and Requirements for a Chief Nursing Officer Advanced Education and Management Experience.
Experience: Three to Five (3-5) years’ hospital experience required as a Nurse Manager.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Collaborates and directs organizational patient care practices, policies, and procedures that describe how patient care is provided, assessed, and evaluated with regard to population served.
- Leads, Directs, and Delegates the personnel of direct patient care services towards optimal levels of productivity and focusing on patient safety at all times.
- Represents patient care services at all meetings to include Medical Executive Staff Meetings, and meetings of the Governing Board.
- Establishes patient care policies, procedures, and methodologies, evaluates their effectiveness and institutes corrective action when needed.
- Maintains current knowledge levels in patient care practices.
- Interprets regulations as established by CMS and other regulatory agencies to ensure compliance and meeting standards routinely.
- Assisting in planning new services that generate additional sources of profitable revenue.
- Participates, implements, and oversees administrative policies consistent with organizational goals and philosophy towards improving operations performances.
- Completes and reviews performance evaluations of personnel consistently providing guidance and within the time frame allowed for completion.
- Participates in improvement of operational performance through assessment, identification, planning, intervention and evaluation activities.
- Demonstrates creativity, intelligence and discretion in the planning, organizing, and coordination for departmental functions in clinical patient care areas.
- Assess a situation, identifies priorities, considers alternatives, and chooses the appropriate course of action with few errors.
- Collaborates and participates in the hospital plan for providing staff and patient care.
- Provides accurate and timely information using discretion and protecting confidentiality of information routinely.
- Interviews, and selects new employees as appropriate, maintain staffing levels.
- Monitors and evaluates the strengths and weaknesses of new employees within the introductory period.
- Conducts nursing management meetings as scheduled.
- Rounds routinely on clinical departments.
- Takes administrative call as scheduled.
- Acts as liaison between the hospital and the medical staff and represents the hospital at external functions.
- Other duties as assigned