Job Summary: At the direction and control of the HIM Supervisor, the Technician will be responsible for Organize and manage patients’ health information data for inpatients, emergency room and/or outpatient records.
Reports to: HIM Supervisor
Education: High School Diploma or GED
Experience: May be at entry level, but 1-year hospital experience preferred. May be Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT)
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Organize and manage patients’ health information data consistent with medical, administrative, ethical, legal, and regulatory requirements.
- Utilizes electronic health record system for inquiry purposes
- Enters and sends data, and generates required reports
- Releases medical information, as appropriate.
- Collect, monitor, and process department related data and information
- Communicate with physicians and other healthcare professionals to clarify diagnoses or to obtain additional information.
- Ability to ensure accurate and timely dissemination of transcribed documents to departments.
- Maintain electronic health records (EHR) databases.
- Verify accuracy and accessibility of files.
- Ensure all files are secure.
- Consequences of error in should be minimal
- May contact patient/customer in regard to patient records
- Actively participate in all special events
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- May be required to work evenings, nights, and/or weekends on a regular or as needed basis.