Job Summary: At the direction and control of the Lab Director, the Phlebotomist collects blood samples from patients.
Reports to: Director of Lab
Education: High school diploma, GED or equivalent experience.
Experience: Prior experience preferred
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Receives or properly obtains specimens for laboratory analysis, primarily by venipuncture but also by other means
- Performs select routine laboratory tests as needed
- Ensures that tests are performed accurately and efficiently, and that the results are recorded and reported in a timely manner
- Assists the MTs, MLTS, & Lab Assistants as needed
- Ensures work areas & phlebotomy trays are kept clean and disinfected
- Assists management in keeping an appropriate inventory of supplies and restocks areas as needed
- Provides a variety of clerical and receptionist duties for the department
- Communicates with providers’ office and other staff to obtain complete information needed for payment (proper diagnoses, billing information, proper signatures) by Medicare and other payers
- Understands relationship of proper specimen collection to patient outcome
- Works with laboratory staff to clarify physicians’ orders
- Ensures proper and complete entry of orders into the lab’s computer system
- Customer service driven, patient-focused and friendly
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- May be required to work evenings, nights, and/or weekends on a regular or as needed basis.