The Certified Respiratory Therapist (CRT) administers respiratory therapy and life support to patients with deficiencies and abnormalities of cardiopulmonary system. Performs diagnostic tests of cardiovascular and pulmonary system to aid physicians in diagnosis and treatment of heart and lung disorders. Participates in performance improvement and CQI activities.
The Registered Respiratory Therapist (RRT) administers respiratory therapy and life support to patients with deficiencies and abnormalities of cardiopulmonary system. Performs diagnostic tests of cardiovascular and pulmonary system to aid physicians in diagnosis and treatment of heart and lung disorders. Participates in performance improvement and CQI activities.
Reports to: Director of Respiratory.
• Graduate of AMA approved School of Respiratory Therapy.
• Must possess a current Arkansas Respiratory License -CRTT, RRT, or RRT eligible
• BLS (CPR) certification required.
• ACLS preferred.
Experience: Five (5) years’ hospital experience preferred
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Demonstrates responsible decision making in planning and providing care based on assessment
- Communicates effectively. Establishes and maintains two way communication with coworkers, other hospital staff members, physicians and administration
- Adapts to change in a positive, professional manner.
- Follows through on problems by using the appropriate chain of command.
- Cooperates well with coworkers and supports group decisions.
- Communicates appropriate information to supervisor/manager in a timely manner.
- Documents thoroughly, accurately and timely according to policy.
- Maintains a clean, neat, and safe environment for patients and staff.
- Correctly identifies and uses appropriate personal protective equipment.
- Actively supports the profession of Respiratory Care.
- Effectively role models professional behavior
- Demonstrates appropriate interpersonal skills for all age groups.
- Seeks information and guidance from others as needed.
- Consistently uses skilled communication, which demonstrates congruence between words and actions and holds others accountable for doing the same.
- Successfully performs Arterial Blood Gas Punctures Consistently and accurately reports the results in a timely manner.
- Appropriately performs patient assessment and correlates care with the patient’s needs.
- Consistently and competently adheres to Respiratory Protocols
- Efficiently maintains patient comfort and safety using ventilator management and airway maintenance.
- Uses patient safety techniques in the delivery of medications.
- Administers and charts all medication and therapies prescribed
- Accurately follows policies in patient care including patient identification
- Consistently and appropriately seeks opportunities for continuing respiratory education credits to maintain certification as applicable.
- Professionally demonstrates skill and excellent judgment in crisis management and intervention
- Proficiently demonstrates adherence of oxygen therapy in regards to age specific care consideration.
- Accurately and thoroughly completes computer functions to correlate charges.
- Uses supplies and equipment effectively and efficiently by actively seeking ways to control cost without compromising quality of care or services delivered
- Accurately and consistently collects improvement performance data as directed.
- Actively participates in the development and implementation of process improvements
- Maintains confidentiality of hospital and patient information at all times.
- Recognizes we are linked to one another by a common purpose; serving our patients and our community, that we are team members with our physicians and co-workers, and that we each deserve respect and support.
- Listens attentively to our customers to fully understand needs. Pays close attention to both verbal and non-verbal communication. Is committed to exceeding customers’ expectations and providing more than what is expected.
- Ensures an accident-free environment. Establishes, promotes and monitors a proactive innovative approach to enhance hospital and patient safety. Adheres to and ensures compliance with CMS, Patient Safety Goals and hospital safety policies.
- Demonstrates a sense of ownership in their job, takes pride in what they do, and how they do it. Accepts responsibility for and is in control of the job that needs to be done